BROWN COUNTY COMMISSIONER RESPONSIBILITIES
I have worked in government for many years. I have also had the opportunity of owning my own business. In my opinion, both backgrounds have prepared me for this important position. I would like to start by giving a very brief overview of both what a county commissioner & county level of government is responsible for and how we are permitted to pay for these mandated services. Please note that this is not my or another person’s unique perspective, but rather requirements from Federal and State Government.
COUNTY REQUIRED SERVICES & REVENUE
- Law Enforcement & Correctional Services
- Emergency Management
- Provide Economic & Industrial Development
- Providing parks and recreational facilities
- Planning, Zoning, Development & Code Enforcement
- Water purity and distribution
- Provide human services, protective health & welfare for all county residents
To pay for these required services require revenue. I have learned from my experience that generating revenue in the government setting is much different than the private sector. The reason for the difference is that there are simply restrictions on how a county or city is permitted to obtain revenue.
- Property Tax
- State and Federal Grants
- Charges for Services (Fees)